By: Adriana Herdan
Being a fashion addict can be expensive. Some believe that following the latest trends and being up-to-date with what’s “in” at the time is a privilege only the extremely wealthy can enjoy. Dressing elegantly and looking stylish doesn’t have to empty out your pockets. If you have the following 10 items that can be mixed and matched with the season’s trends, your bank account will not suffer. In fact, if chosen carefully, these 10 items can remain in your closet for a lifetime and can be used and re-used as statement pieces that accompany trends that come and go.
1) Little black dress: It is essential in a girl’s closet, you can use it for any occasion and pair it with different accessories in order to make it as formal as you wish. One can wear it over and over again since black is a timeless color and it matches with absolutely everything. It’s like a band aid; you just have to have them around.
2) Red Pumps: nothing makes a statement like red. Wearing all black, all white or simply jeans and a t-shirt dressed up with your red pumps will instantaneously transform your look from informal to smart-casual. This daring statement is also a really good way to add color to your look when you wear your little black dress.
3) Black Pumps: every season changes its prints and patterns, yet no matter how exotic the season’s color schemes are, you can always match them up with classic black heels that will guarantee an elegant look no matter what.
4) Colored Scarf: you can style up any outfit with a colored scarf. Not only will it make you look sophisticated, but you automatically obtain two different outfits, the one with the scarf and the one without the scarf. If you can afford it, Hermes prints are fun, full of color and will cheer up any plain look.
5) The Blazer: a blazer is a versatile piece that can easily be styled to make you look professional for an interview, chic and cool when you jet around town with friends, or going out to dinner for a girl’s night out. Plus, if worn over a dress it adds mystery and sophistication to your outfit making you look subtly sexy, making you the one all the boys want to get to know.
6) Dark Jeans: jeans are an essential piece of any one’s closet. They can be worn down with a t-shirt, or made more formal depending on the top you choose to wear. While different types of washes and holes have been in style in the past years, dark jeans are guaranteed to never go out of style and keep you looking your best.
7) White cotton t-shirt: when combined with the right accessories, white t-shirts can serve as a base for a statement necklace, funky skirt, a blazer, your colorful scarf etc. For a more casual look you can combine them with your dark wash jeans and head off to class feeling confident.
8 ) Pearl Earrings: accessories come and go but a pair of good pearl earrings will last a lifetime. Although some people associate pearls with their glam grannies, they are a classic that add sophistication to any face, even the younger ones.
9) Black Purse: it is very easy to accumulate a million bags that will go in and out of style as fast as the seasons change, but a classic black purse is a must have. Like your pair of black pumps, it can be matched with all the patterns and trends of the current season.
10) White Pants: you can wear any shirt, even a t-shirt with white pants and will look elegant. They are classic, feminine and add freshness to your look. While here in the US there is a saying that “one shall not wear white after labor day”, in recent years designers have ignored this taboo in their winter collections making it “ok” to break the rules during the cooler months.
Mademoiselle Chanel believed that when it comes to elegance less is more, and
these 10 items should help create chic and classic looks for years to come.